Saturday, July 21, 2007

Great Man or Con Man?

Was Werner Erhard a great leader, a selflessly giving, loving, inspiring man? Or was he an egomaniac obsessed with becoming famous, infatuated with the trappings of success, compensating for deep insecurities? Was he for real, or was he a con man?

This I know: he was (and I imagine still is) an extraordinary workshop facilitator, a great teacher, and a great trainer of other workshop facilitators.

And as is the case with every human being, he is fully human. He may well have been obsessed with being famous, and clearly he openly relished the experience of material wealth.

What if it is not an "either or" situation? What if he is both a extraordinary messenger and a deeply flawed human being? Every great-artist musician I've known has also been a real asshole at times. I'll expand on this later.

One thing I want to make clear: this is neither an homage to or attack on Erhard. It's a memoir and current journal, neither puff piece(s) not unfair smears. My initial purpose is to sort out the impact these experiences I had in my early 20s have on me today, and to make fuller use of them. What have I gotten from my investment of time and energy a quarter-century ago? And what more can I be getting from them now?

No comments: